Mr. Katt practices in federal and state court. He has represented clients in cases involving claims of legal malpractice, complex commercial fraud, patent infringement and other intellectual property violations, unfair competition, breach of contract, employee separation issues, and family law issues.
- Defended several large national law firms in legal malpractice and other actions involving intellectual property (patent and copyright), bankruptcy, commercial fraud, real estate, and other issues.
- Represented founder and officer of technology startup in employment separation and related issues.
- Defended arbitral body in action brought by disgruntled arbitration party.
- Represented taxi industry in litigation concerning unfair competition by “ridesharing” companies.
- Represented major media outlet in litigation concerning access to public records.
- Defended small business against qui tam litigation under the False Claims Act.
- Defended financial institution against allegations of engaging in a civil conspiracy to commit commercial fraud and related claims.
- Represented analytics company in dispute with competitor regarding patent infringement, unfair competition, and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Represented automotive manufacturer in dispute regarding separation of former executive.
- Defended licensee of technology related to production methods of a chemical compound in breach-of-contract dispute with licensor.
- Represented agricultural company in patent litigation against primary competitor regarding seed processing equipment.
- Represented multiple pharmaceutical manufacturers in Hatch-Waxman litigation regarding pharmaceutical patent rights, including before the Federal Circuit.
- B.S., Georgia Institute of Technology, Industrial Engineering, 2003.
- J.D., Northwestern University Law School, 2009.Graduated cum laude
Senior Articles Editor of Northwestern University Law Review
Lowden-Wigmore Prize for Legal Scholarship
Senior Research Honors
- Admitted to the Illinois Bar, 2009.
- Law clerk to the Hon. Marvin E. Aspen, U. S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2009-2010.
- Law clerk to the Hon. Diane S. Sykes, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 2010-2011.
- Associate with Latham & Watkins LLP, Chicago, Illinois, 2011-2014.
- Associate with this firm, 2014.
- Admitted to the bars of the U. S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, U. S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Richard Linn American Inn of Court
Selected Publications and Presentations
- “Taylor v. Sturgell, Procedural Due Process, and the Day-in-Court Ideal: Resolving the Virtual Representation Dilemma,” Notre Dame Law Review, 2009. Written with Martin H. Redish.
- “Roper and the Scientific Amicus,” Jurimetrics Journal, 2009.
- “Res Judicata and Rule 19,” Northwestern University Law Review, 2009.