Mr. Beem’s practice consists of commercial disputes, including litigation involving professional responsibility, contractual disputes, securities law, the liability of corporate directors and other company officers, constitutional law and real-estate-related matters. In addition, he is involved with bankruptcy matters, workouts and related litigation. Mr. Beem also advises non-public schools and other not-for-profit entities. Mr. Beem has been selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers list every year since its inception in 2005.
- Represented large law firms in defense of legal malpractice and related claims arising from representation of hedge funds, closely-held metals manufacturing businesses, public Real Estate Investment Trust, snack foods manufacturer and distributor and commodities trading ventures.
- Represented lawyers in arbitrations over separations from former law firms.
- Represented lawyers in matters with Illinois Attorney Registration and Discipline Commission.
- Represented court appointed receivers in Commodity Futures Trading Commission enforcement action and in liquidation of portfolio of mortgage loans with aggregate principal balance in excess of $1 billion.
- Represented title insurance company in defense of fraudulent conveyance claims against mortgages granted in connection with leveraged buy-out of national retail chain.
- Represented multi-national industrial engineering and construction firm in defense of breach of contract actions.
- Ongoing representation of private schools and not-for-profit social service entities in general counseling, mergers and financial restructuring.
- Represented artist whose work was deemed offensive by Chicago Aldermen and forcibly removed from display at public show of student artwork in civil rights damage claim.
- B.A., Princeton University, Political Science, 1970.
Graduated with high honors
- University of Chicago Law School, 1975.
Order of the Coif
- Admitted to the Illinois Bar, 1975.
- Law clerk to the Hon. Bernard M. Decker, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1975-1976.
- Clinical teacher at the University of Chicago Law School, 1976-1981.
- Associate with this firm, 1981-1985; became a partner in 1985.
- Faculty member of the Intensive Trial Practice Workshop of the University of Chicago Law School.
- Faculty member of the National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Midwest Regional Program on Negotiation.
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chicago Council of Lawyers
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers
- President Illinois ACLU, 200-2005; member ACLU National Board, 1996-2001 and 2005 to present.
- “Can Lawyers Protect, and Sell at Premium, a Secret and Valuable Idea?” Chicago Bar Association Record, June/July 2001. Written with Michael L. Shakman.